Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Airport Sendoff

So the time has come...

Yesterday, at 8 o'clock President Weathersby came to the house, and I was set apart as a missionary in the Philippines Naga Mission. Joining us in the circle were my dad, President Merrill, Bishop Bentz, and the Elders from our ward.

Packing was completed and we drifted off to sleep, as much as we could, knowing today was the day.

At 4 a.m. the alarm sounded and I awoke with pink eye! Yeah! Following some medical attention and a shower we loaded in the car and were off to the airport. We arrived safely, checked in, got my boarding pass, and paid for my two pieces of luggage.

As we left the check-in an unknown man walked passed me and asked, "Where you headed Elder?" I proudly announced Naga Philippines!

Off to the side of the security screening entrance to "Concourse A" we waited for family. While there we saw two other Elders preparing to board, probably my same flight, to Salt lake City.

I had a quick breakfast. Family arrived, we hugged, and took pictures . . .

2/3 of the Eliason grandchildren
Mike, Ang and the boys
Annie and the kids
Emz!
Grandma Kornegay

Rainman, Morgan, Baby, and me!

My FAMILY








. . . then it was time!

Goodbye Joel


* Here's a Facebook post from Morgan to put this next picture into perspective

My Brother = My Best friend, Partner in crime, Twin, Missionary. 
I love My Michael. :)
Goodbye little sister!!!
Goodbye Mom, I love you!
People of the Philippines, here I come. . .
I landed in Salt Lake City just after 10 a.m., and am now on my way to the Provo Missionary Training Center (MTC). I'll be there before you see this.

I'll write as often as I can, and Morgan and Dad will keep this blog updated. See you in two years and enjoy the blog!

I Love you ALL!

11 comments:

  1. awwwww :') they grow up sooo fast where did the time go !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bawling!!! So, proud of Michael. Your family has always held a very special place in my heart! The people in his mission will be so blessed to have him there. Can't wait to read his updates! Thanks for sharing this very poignant moment today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited you get to share all the updates with us. You are truly going to be an amazing missionary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man that picture of Morgan and Michael just tore me up. That's so sweet. I love and miss you guys! I'll miss reading funny posts from Michael. Love ya'll.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was was crying when I saw Michael still called Ethan "Rainman" then I lost it when I saw him with Morgan! I can't imagine what it is like to watch him walk down to board the plane. Love you guys!
    Anita

    ReplyDelete
  6. A bitter-sweet day to be sure...good luck and God's speed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mike looks terrific. Just last week he was wearing sandles, shorts, and a t-shirt to Daniel's departure. Now they'll be together at the MTC.

    - Michael Smith

    ReplyDelete
  8. By now you are safe and sound at the MTC and having great and marvelous experiences! Love you and so proud of you!! Auntie B.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I we would have liked to be there to send you off. Have been thinking of you all day. Can't wait for all the letters and experienes you can share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It’s wonderful to see you with such an awesome attitude leaving for your mission.
    I’ve recently seen a few young men from my area lacking in that trait. With that attitude you’ll not only be a tool in the Lords hand in bring choice people from Philippines into the fold, you’ll convert and strengthen a few ‘soft’ missionaries along the way. You’re light shineth brightly! Greg

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a confident young man that knows the mission at hand and looks so focused. You definitely epitomize Ephesians 6 Elder, in that you are walking into battle prepared with the "Whole Armor of God"

    I can envision you speaking D&C 4 in your mind as you walked away: 1Now behold, a marvelous work is about to come forth among the children of men.

    2Therefore, O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day.

    3Therefore, if ye have desires to serve God ye are called to the work;

    4For behold the field is white already to harvest; and lo, he that thrusteth in his sickle with his might, the same layeth up in store that he perisheth not, but bringeth salvation to his soul;

    5And faith, hope, charity and love, with an eye single to the glory of God, qualify him for the work.

    6Remember faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, brotherly kindness, godliness, charity, humility, diligence.

    7Ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. Amen.

    Semper Fidelis Elder Kornegay.

    ReplyDelete