Sunday, September 18, 2011

September 18, 2011

Hello family,

I live in the fre##n Philippines. Sorry about the "language", but there really isnt any other way to describe it. That's hilarious that Ethan made such a big purchase. I hope he at least bought something worth watching, other than Barney or something.

As for me and this new home/zoo of mine, its hot. I wake up sweating and wet and go to bed sweaty and wet. I hope that ends quick but it won't. Like normal people do, I sleep on a bed. It's a thin little mattress that my feet and legs hang off of. My best friend is named Fan. He's the fan that keeps me cool at night. I had 2 but 1 broke :( Hopefully I will get another one soon.

Our apartment is pretty nice compared to what some people have here. It's all cement, and there are ants everywhere. We hardly have any mosquitos or spiders. I've only seen 2 spiders since I've been here. It has a cool view though. We can see boats docked from our kitchen window. The beach is seriously so close, its really nice. You can see 2 other islands from the beach.

Laundry by hand isn't too bad. Laundry machines are better though haha. My pants are soaking in soap and water right now, actually. You dont have to send me TP. Some places here sell it. I keep 1 roll in my backpack and another by my bed. I only wipe with my hand when Im showering. I try not to poop any other times of the day. If I have to though I carry the TP with me for that emergency.

I haven't been reimbursed for my luggage yet. I dont know how I will be, I'll ask my mission president when I see him. I do use the repellent before I go to bed, just in case.

Yes, we have eaten at other member's houses. Every Sunday we pay Sister Tess money. She only asks for enough to cook us a meal, she gives us the change after. She cooks really well. Other members feed us sweet breads, soda, fried bananas, etc. when we come over - that's if they are rich.

Ive lost weight. I look like such a weiner. I dont have any muscle :( I look good though dont worry. Everyone calls me 'guwapo'. It means handsome and it gets old because everyone says it. Oh and they also say I look like Harry Potter. I told them, I don't like Harry Potter, but they say it's a compliment. In America everyone wants to be darker, or tan. Here everyone wants to be whiter. They sell creams and stuff to lighten your skin.

YES! I miss dairy. I paid like 40P (40 pesos is less than a dollar but thats expensive here) for a single serving box of chocolate milk from New Zealand. It definitely wasn't my favorite but it wasn't bad. I miss milk. I also bought some ice cream, that's expensive too. The main ingredient in ice cream here is water, not cool - I only bought that once too because I dont want to spend to much money.

Elder Smith is awesome, he's from Wisonsin, I don't know what else to say about him. I also don't have a specific address. The best guess would be "the 3rd floor purple and orange apartment, left of Mister M, and behind a hotel." Thats how some people's addresses are. Play it safe and send whatever to the mission home.

Oh by the way mom I sent you a letter a couple days ago... Hope everything is going good. It's about 1030 am here now, I will check my email again later today.

Love you!!
Michael

2 comments:

  1. I. Love. This. Son. Of. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are guwapo too! XXOO Aunt Becki

    ReplyDelete